New Daily Persistent Headache | Positive Life Update

(Meet my snake Rapunzel even though she doesn't have anything to do with this post!)

It's been a little while since I wrote about my life with NDPH (New Daily Persistent Headache) and today I thought I would write a positive post about it. If you didn't know, half way through grade 11 I developed a sudden headache that never went away. That was in June 2015. I have written several posts about this and they are all easily found in the category NDPH-Headache tab/ label. The first post I ever wrote in regards to this headache was actually written before I knew anything about NDPH and before I realised it would stick around forever. I also have an in-depth post about Living With a Never-ending Headache, I wrote this while I was still in high school. Some of the posts were from before I had a diagnosis and some are from after, nothing much changed between this time except finally having a name for the condition, and even then it was difficult to explain. 

Something I don't think I've ever mentioned online is how downhill my emotional health spiralled during this time. I may have said a brief sentence about it but never went into detail but that was definitely a major thing. Because I have previous posts about what NDPH is and what was happening at the time I won't be going to much into it in this post. This post is about what is happening now and although nothing has changed in regards to the headache itself, my mindset has definitely changed and I am out of that negative headspace. If you have been following those previous posts you would know that I was on a really long list of medications that were trial and error, and I had tried so many treatments including exercises. Just to update further, I still have not found anything that has touched the pain. I have now been off any medication and pain killers since just before Christmas (2016). I decided to do this because nothing was actually helping with the pain and the medication was creating too much acidity for my stomach. My body feels much better after stopping all medications. Even though my headache has not changed I feel better mentally. The pain still fluctuates between 4 and 8 all day everyday. I've found others online who have the exact same thing and that is comforting within itself.

So how am I doing with uni? Well, if I'm honest after I realised this headache wasn't going to go away I didn't think I would end up going to university. I barely thought I would finish high school. But here I am studying full time at university, and yes it's quite difficult but my uni has amazing support plans for students. 

Basically this post was so update how I'm going in regards to NDPH and I am out of that negative headspace. I am happy and learning to live life with a never-ending headache. Physically I'm still the same, exhausted and in constant pain, but mentally I'm mostly positive.

My next post will be back to what my blog is about! Something either beauty or lifestyle related.

10 comments

  1. I'm glad to hear you've found joy despite your NDPH. I've had it for six years and I know it's a journey to get out of the bitterness. I wish you every success in school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! Six years, wow that's a loooong time. It definitely is a journey and I'm glad you can relate (obviously not in a 'I'm glad you have pain' way, but in a 'It's nice that you can 100% understand' way) xx

      Delete
  2. It must be so hard to deal with such pain everyday. I'm happy to hear that you are going strong despite it. I really hope that in the future there will be a way to completely get rid of it. xx

    Antonia || Sweet Passions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Antonia! Even though in my mind I don't think it'll ever go away, there's still that slight bit of hope that's always in the back of my mind. xx

      Delete
  3. That is awful, it is amazing how resilient we can be when tested. I am happy to hear that you are learning to cope with it and live your life anyway. Thank you for sharing!

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great mindset change for me xx

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine what you've had to go through since it started in grade 11, and how difficult the journey was. I'm really glad for you though that you've started University, and you're not letting it get you down anymore :) Hope your studies go well, and sending you my best wishes xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm hoping university is the right choice!

      Delete
  5. I just found your blog - it's interesting to find someone else with persistent headaches! I've suffered from chronic daily headaches since about 2012. Luckily I'm on medication that pretty much eliminates them entirely without any major side effects, but any time I try to taper off it, they come back. It's rough! I'm impressed you're forging ahead without medication!

    Morgan | Hyacinth Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan! That's really awful, I'm glad that you've found some kind of relief though. It's so unfortunate that they come back when you try to go off the medication. xx

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog ♥ I love reading your comments and I like to reply to all of them. Make sure to check back for my reply or tweet me @Sophie_Bella13

-Sophie ♥